Thursday, May 10, 2012

Bricolage

I love the beauty found in castoffs and things discarded. And I’m often compelled to repurpose and find function for mundane and quirky objects that become symbolic of something bigger simply in their arrangement. Anne Morrow Lindbergh understood this: “That had been their fourth time. She put four diamond buttons in an exact row on the windowsill.”

The French call it bricolage: making artful use of objects at hand in a way that instills new meaning or upholds a legacy or story.

I’m especially partial to objects in sets of threes, which is likely tied to my precious relationships with my three children. But what really takes my breath away is when I happen upon a “treasure of three” unexpectedly, either naturally occurring or something placed and forgotten by someone who came this way before. There seems to be a deeper significance than random arrangement would explain.

These kinds of items become sparks of inspiration, reminders of times past, and lovely connections to caring relationships. When I hold them in my hand, they feel relevant and seem to take up more room in my heart than I can explain.

I can think of a million reasons to look for significance and meaning in nature and simplicity, but I need only three.

No comments: