Saturday, January 15, 2011

Saturday's Cancelled

She’s wearing her prettiest clothes this morning, the kind of white excess only Nature can pull off.

What is it about snowstorms that excites me so? Is it because they so effectively interrupt my routine? Is it because they unexpectedly release me from my commitments and expectations? Maybe it’s because they temporarily excuse me from my schedule. This isn’t something I have to explain to anyone; there seems to be universal understanding and sharing of this justification.

As the snow lays down an extra layer of silence, soundproofing my world, I walk happily around my house, freed by Nature from demands that await me in more moderate weather. My heart is joyful in a forced respite in a small town on the shore of Lake Michigan in January… the gift of snowflakes.

5 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Ah, beautiful. There's something about snow that still makes me giddy.

Joanne said...

That's part of the reason I love winter, the inclination to stay home and nest, to enjoy the comforts of home. With sleet and freezing rain yesterday, and heavy snow predicted here Friday, I'll be doing a lot of that for awhile :)

Peggy said...

Tess and Joanne, my fellow winter-lovers, enjoy the white abundance this week! Grab a book and a throw, hunker down, and read!

neetzy said...

Snow always makes me silly and giddy! I love snow days even though I know I have to make them up!

Sarah Laurence said...

Well said. We are expecting yet another snow day tomorrow. I'm picking up on the kids' excitement even though I still have to finish a draft of my manuscript tomorrow. There are advantages or disadvantages, depending on your perspective, of working at home. Still, I will go out for a ski break.

I enjoyed your post on sideways spines on books below. I've actually gotten used to reading without cricking my neck. It's nothing compared to the contortions I had to do while reading a story to child 1 while breast feeding child 2 and patting dog 1.

So nice to connect with another snow and book lover!