Thursday, October 7, 2010

Wordplay

For those of us who love words, entertainment is everywhere.

After reading Lewis Carroll's "Jabberwocky" earlier this week, I've been on the lookout for examples of portmanteaux (chortle and snowmageddon), malapropisms (historical versus hysterical), colloquialisms (hootenanny), and accidental word coinage (refudiate and misunderestimate).

This morning, with my coffee in hand, it all came together for me in a comic strip. There is perhaps nothing that consistently serves up an abundant helping of wordplay--what The Washington Post calls 'an unraveling coil of malapropism and accidental word coinage'--than "Get Fuzzy," one of my all-time favorite comics.

I've heard it said that you can tell a lot about a person by seeing what makes him laugh. I'm not sure what this says about me, but a day that begins with laughter can't be so bad!


1 comment:

Bright Spirit said...

Really GREAT comic strip. Love it ... made me laugh ... what more can one ask for?