Saturday, October 9, 2010

1,000 Marbles

This is one of those lessons that life seems to hand us from time to time. It's helped me to keep a good perspective on my own priorities.

An elderly Ham radio enthusiast tells that when he was 55 years old, he sat down one day, did a little arithmetic, and found the average person lives about 75 years. Multiplying 75 years times 52 weeks, he came up with 3,900, which is the number of Saturdays the average person has in his entire lifetime. At 55 years old, though, he had already lived through over 2,800 Saturdays. He began to think that if he lived to be 75, he only had about 1,000 Saturdays left to enjoy. So he went to a toy store and bought every single marble they had, visiting three toy stores to round up 1,000 marbles. He took them home and put them inside of a large clear container.

Every Saturday he took one marble out and threw it away. By watching the marbles diminish, he focused more on the really important things in life. There is nothing like watching your time here on this earth run out to help get your priorities straight.

One recent Saturday, at 75 years old, he took the very last marble out of the container. He figured if he made it until the next Saturday, he'd been given a little extra time. And the one thing we can all use is a little more time. What did I do with my precious time today? I did some volunteer work this morning, and then I went to a toy store and bought some marbles.

My wish for all you, my friends? May all of your Saturdays be special!

8 comments:

Peggy said...

That was such a great story Peggy. What a wonderfull way to look at it and to look at life. :)

Peggy said...

Peggy and Randy, with marbles and good friends like you, how can I go wrong? :-D

Lisa said...

Loves it! And the fact that you spent your Saturday morning helping and focusing on others! Jesus say's there is more happiness in giving!

willow said...

Well, that's one way to lose your marbles...teehee...sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, I'm going to cherish not only Saturdays, but every day I wake up.

Country Girl said...

I love my Saturdays. Even if they're spent cleaning half the day, I love 'em. Very nice post!

Peggy said...

Willow, I suppose someone had to go there! LOL

Country Girl, I'm glad you popped in to say hello.

Sydney said...

This is a wonderful story Peggy. I have heard something like it, but not told this well. Today I did something I thought I would never have the opprtunity to do -- sat with a small group in our Zoo with Jane Goodall and listened to her. She's 76 and so beautiful, sharp, clear, and this is someone who travels the world 300 days a year! I was very inspired and think I used this Saturday's marble well!

Will put up a post soon with pix.

Peggy said...

Sydney, what a lovely way to spend a Saturday. I'll bet it was positively inspiring! :-D Can't wait to see your next post.