Friday, September 24, 2010

Sticklers Unite!

It's National Punctuation Day today. This is a big day on my calendar!

Throughout the year, I collect examples of badly punctuated signage (my favorite is posted below), and read books with pencil in hand to correct punctuation errors in print. Call it my 'zero tolerance approach to punctuation'.

Today, I'm going to celebrate the day by curling up with one of my favorite books, Eats, Shoots & Leaves (see below), a manifesto for those of us punctilious about punctuation. I'm also going to make a point of using my favorite punctuation--the serial comma--boldly, frequently, and without apology as many times as possible today.

For those who agree that standards of punctuation in our world are abysmal, please share what you'll do to mark this great day. Share your bad signage! Spread the word! Sticklers Unite!
.

2 comments:

Sydney said...

Oh my goodness Peggy! I'm so glad you're back! I have thought of you often and hoped you were hanging in there.

I am now editing a magazine and I stare until I can't see at punctuation... there are differing opinions... seems even these rules change a bit over time.

Peggy said...

I've missed you too, Sydney!

I understand what you mean about editing and punctuation. I'm a total Chicago Manual of Style girl! :-D