Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Winter's End

Those who know me have heard me lament over the past months about how long our Winter season has been this year. We’ve had snow on the ground since the end of October, survived two bona fide blizzards, and dug out from under 110-plus inches of snow. With another four to six weeks of winter under our collective belts, we’re anxious for Spring in this neck of the woods.

In other parts of the world, and even here in the United States, people measure Spring’s proximity by various means. It is heralded by robins, budding leaves, crocuses and daffodils. However, here in these northern climes alongside Lake Michigan, we know Winter is almost over when we can see the deer wandering around!


10 comments:

Poetikat said...

How nice it would be to look out one's window and see the gentle deer trekking past. I imagine their progress in this sort of snow is quite slow though.

NO deer here, but the chipmunk made his debut on our porch, which is always a very good sign!

Kat

TheWritersPorch said...

Now I would call that....
DETERMINATION !!

willow said...

Now that is some deep snow! Glad to hear all is well in your neck of the woods! You've been missed.

Delwyn said...

Hello Peggy,
that is a great shot, they obviously have a goal in mind.

Joanne said...

Oh my! How do they even make their way through? I guess they can teach us a thing or two about persistence. Welcome back!

Sydney said...

welcome back! You were MUCH missed girl! I keep wondering if the photos you use are yours or if you found them somewhere. In either case, I am astounded by the one today. Did you take this?

you HAVE been through the wringer. I bemoan missing snow and lots of it, because I think if it's going to be cold it ought to at least be snowing or it should be on the ground so I can be happy about it. But enough is enough. You don't exactly live in Alaska!

Derrick said...

Hi Peggy,

This amount of snow puts ours in the shade! Yet it still seems to cause chaos and mayhem. I hope you see the deer a lot more clearly, soon!

Bee said...

Goodness, that is a picture of winter being almost over!!!????

sizzie said...

I lived 'up north' for one winter. I was doing okay until I realized February wasn't the last cold month. In June, we had piles of black snow standing in parking lots where it had been dumped. I still am not sure what I took as the first sign of spring that year, but I started looking for it months before it arrived.

Peggy said...

Sizzie, it's true. The black mountains of snow will be with us until early June or so. Especially in places where the city dumps the snow they plow off the streets downtown, the "mountains" can get to be 16-18 feet tall...all that snow! Doesn't it just boggle the mind?!