Monday, March 30, 2009

Treasure

It was a reading kind of day at my house. I nibbled at some Henry James, some F. Scott Fitzgerald, and some Elizabeth Barrett Browning poetry. Treasures, all.
.
Books, books, books!
I had found the secret of a garret room
Piled high with cases in my father's name;
Piled high, packed large, where, creeping in and out
Among the giant fossils of my past,
Like some small nimble mouse between the ribs
Of a mastodon, I nibbled here and there
At this or that box, pulling through the gap,
In heats of terror, haste, victorious joy,
The first book first. And how I felt it beat
Under my pillow, in the morning's dark,
An hour before the sun would let me read!
My books! At last, because the time was ripe,
I chanced upon the poets.

~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

14 comments:

Delwyn said...

Morning Peggy,
my 'to read' pile is extinguished,
I'm off to the bookstore...
happy reading days

Derrick said...

Hello Peggy,

Books are a treasure, aren't they? But sometimes it's simply the knowledge that they are there, for whenever the urge to pick one might arise. I might never read some of them. Is that bad?

TheWritersPorch said...

Books ARE the GREATEST treasure we can hoard on this earth!!!
Carol

sizzie said...

I am in the middle of the treasure you led me to...The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and I just finished a Kate Atkinson novel that I either heard about here or it came up when I searched for the Guernsey book. Either way, I wouldn't have found the one without the other. Thank you!

Poetikat said...

Oh, I have far too many on the go and new ones keep pleading from the shelves of bookshops, "Take me!", "Take me!" I always acquiesce.

Kat

julie king said...

books have been my constant companions since early childhood! i so relate to this browning poem!

Reya Mellicker said...

Reading days are like feast days, aren't they? I poured over the NY Times, then went to work.

Nice to think of you reading beautiful poetry.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Nothing better!

Sydney said...

Hey there -- I dream of the day when I can start reading again... not for now it seems, just quick magazines and glances at the newspaper or blogs.

Just popping in to say hi... it's been a little while and life must be keeping you busy. Just know friends are thinking of you! :-)

Meri Arnett-Kremian said...

Miss you! You must be really busy.

Bee said...

I want ALL my days to be reading kind of days.

Hope all is well . . . left a message for you at the writer influence post as well.

Bee, xx

larkspur said...

Bee, where are you? things have finally settled down here so I can enjoy some time with friends, and poof!, you are all gone....hope all is well.

Marilyn said...

Have missed your musings. Hope all is well.

Nishant said...

Books are a treasure, aren't they? But sometimes it's simply the knowledge that they are there, for whenever the urge to pick one might arise. I might never read some of the
Make website india