Friday, March 27, 2009

Training Wheels

This week, Corban decided he was ready to ride his bike without training wheels. He was actually ready at the end of last summer, but we didn't rush him. There was a sense of security he felt with them attached. But when they came off on Sunday, he was elated. He was ready. With his dad running behind the bike and holding onto the seat, you could see in Corban’s face the moment he acknowledged and embraced the commitment, that point of no return. He dove into this new experience with glee!

I had tears in my eyes. I was so happy for him, so proud of this deliberate step of his. But this is the last of my children I’ll watch give up training wheels. There is a realization that certain things are behind me for good now, and that leaves me a little sad and joyful at the same time. As I contemplated my surprise tears on this occasion, I thought about things in my life I may be holding onto, my own training wheels, things that provide comfort and security like a safety net, allowing me to try things out without ever really committing, caught between the dream of action and fear of failure.

Could I dare to take off my training wheels? Could I do it with as much joy and excitement as Corban had? Passivity makes no demands of me. The world is full of endless possibilities there for the taking. That world is my stage, and I can chose to give the performance of a lifetime or sit in the audience. As I watch my son’s wild and exhilarating bike ride, I recommit to the ride of my life and launch forth gleefully on two wheels.

13 comments:

Jan said...

Hi Peggy,
Haven't visited in a while so thought I'd stop by. I remember the moment well of when my last child took off the training wheels. It was a bittersweet moment. A sense of loss and sadness that I would never witness these sweet moments of a child's glory again in this exact way. (With grandchildren perhaps, but it is not quiet the same.) Celebration, that she was off and flying on her own. I am glad that you have recommitted to your own ride. Yes, passivity, lethargy, self-doubt does not do us any good. Especially those of us who are creative. We absolutely must launch out. Creation in its own right can be our gift of service to a weary world....

willow said...

Yay Corban! I remember that thrill of freedom and power, taking off for the first time without my training wheels. A milestone for the both of you!

Poetikat said...

I love the way you have tied in Corban's triumph with the recognition that you can do the same. I think I need to take off some training wheels of my own. Great inspirational post.

Kat

Delwyn said...

Good morning Peggy,
this is a lovely analogy and you have captured the feeling so well.
What do you think are the training wheels that give you security that you now intend to discard?

Meri Arnett-Kremian said...

Thoughtful and provocative, Peggy. Something a good blog should be!

Derrick said...

Hello Peggy,

Now, I'm sure the oldest lady to give birth in UK was 61, so there's no reason for Corban's milestone to be your last experience. And, maybe, that could be your own way of taking off the stabilisers??!!! :0)

Jeannette St.G. said...

Yes, the world is your stage, and the sky has not limits, so be courageous and take off your training wheels, Peggy:)
I did that when I was 36, had 3 kids and hubby, and moved to the USA to pursue my doctorate. And that is why you can take off your training wheels, because there will be many along the way who will be glad to help you!! It's a rich, rich experience.

sizzie said...

Have you chosen where your new ride will take you? That is the sticking point for me.

TheWritersPorch said...

Somewhere inside Corbin knew he could do it!He had probably already dreamed and pictured himself flying away with no trainers attached!Be a child Peggy,
dream and picture whatever it is you want to do and shed the trainers holding you back!

Reya Mellicker said...

How wonderful that Corban is so brave!

Though I didn't have children in this life, I can imagine that moving through the process of mothering must be so challenging.

So glad to read that you're commited to the ride of your own life. I salute you.

julie king said...

good for you! good that you took a few minutes to relish the moment, share in your son's glee and also shed a tear or two. good that you understand you have choices. good that you choose to live for you!

Wendy said...

What a sweet post. Good for Corban and good for you for allowing yourself to be inspired. I hope you go wild on your two wheels! :)

Nishant said...

I love the way you have tied in Corban's triumph with the recognition that you can do the same. I think I need to take off some training wheels of my own. Great inspirational post.
Make website india