Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Idita-Walk

Along with a few family members, I’ve joined the 832 participants this year in the annual Idita-Walk. Created to coincide with the Iditarod, the 1,049-mile sled dog race between Anchorage and Nome, Alaska, completing the Idita-Walk requires walking 1,049 minutes between February 1 and March 31.

Although I don't have to brave the same harsh conditions as those indomitable sled dogs and their mushers, walking for 1,049 minutes in Michigan in February and early March is not for the fainthearted! In fact, I use ski poles for balance and stability while I log my miles. I can walk about four miles in an hour as I clomp along in my UGGs, the only boots I've ever owned that keep my feet warm.

After a long winter season of exercising indoors, how delicious it feels to pull that cold, fresh Michigan air, straight off the lake, into my lungs. And the walking trail that begins two blocks from my house is sublime. It’s lined with mature oaks, maples, cedars and pines that hold hands over my head to form a canopy; picturesque even in harsh conditions.

I’ll earn this snappy little lapel pin when, this next week, I complete the Idita-Walk. Now I’m off to hit the trail again. Mush!

14 comments:

Poetikat said...

Good for you! (In more ways than one.) I wish I had that kind of impetus to get out and walk. Your trail sounds delightful. I've thought of getting Uggs. Maybe I'll do that for next winter.

Very inspiring, I must say!

Kat

Jeannette St.G. said...

How brave, Peggy - that's a lot of hours!! Wishing you success :)

TheWritersPorch said...

Girl.......you are my hero!
I need to get my big patoo out there walking again!

Delwyn said...

Good on you - 4 miles per hour in snow ??? is going really well.

Barry said...

I hadn't heard of this walk before, but what a great idea. A little something extra to inspire us is always a good thing.

neetzy said...

Hopefully you will see a few spring flowers popping up along the way.

Derrick said...

Hello Peggy,

You seem to be a glutton for punishment! Just the size of the number is exhausting!! But you will be fit and glowing while I sit here, pastey and plump!

willow said...

You go, Girl!!

Peggy said...

Kat, grab some UGGs and get down here... We'll walk together! :)

Jeannette, thanks for your well-wishes!

Carol, I find it impossible to beleive you have a "big patoo"!! :-D

Peggy said...

Delwyn, the village I live in does a good job keeping the walking trail plowed, but it is still snow-covered, thus the ski poles! :)

Barry, apparently they've been doing the IditaWalk for a while now. I became aware of it last year, but couldn't work up the motivation. This year, with a little motivation from my family, I decided to go for it!

Peggy said...

Neetzy, unfortunately, we are probably four weeks away from any flowers, but I'm enjoying the birds and sunshine!

Derrick, I don't see you as pasty or plump! Unfortunately, I don't see me as fit and glowing either! LOL

Willow, thanks! Love your new avatar. Classy!

Bee said...

Good for you, Peggy. I'm wearing my UGGs right now, but I've never thought about walking in them!

sizzie said...

I loved reading this post! What a great idea for an event. Have you heard of walking the Appalachian Trail? I haven't done it, but have put it on a list to think about....

Peggy said...

Sizzie, I would love to walk even a portion of the Appalachian Trail. I read a great book by Bill Bryson called "A Walk in the Woods" about his adventures doing the same with some of his friends. It was a funny, wonderful book! Anyway, I think we ought to have a bloggy-friend get-together and walk the AppTrail together. Wouldn't that be a blast?!