Monday, February 2, 2009

(Silent) Poetry Reading



Go from me. Yet I feel that I shall stand
Henceforward in thy shadow. Nevermore
Alone upon the threshold of my door
Of individual life, I shall command
The uses of my soul, nor lift my hand
Serenely in the sunshine as before,
Without the sense of that which I forbore—
Thy touch upon the palm. The widest land
Doom takes to part us, leaves thy heart in mine
With pulses that beat double. What I do
And what I dream include thee, as the wine
Must taste of its own grapes. And when I sue
God for myself, He hears that name of thine,
And sees within my eyes the tears of two.

--Elizabeth Barrett Browning



Here are a few other blogs that are participating:

11 comments:

Poetikat said...

"as the wine
Must taste of its own grapes."

Potent stuff! I love your choice of picture to illustrate - appropriate on so many levels - even the season we are enduring now.

Kat

Bee said...

Love this choice -- and the accompanying picture. (I was going to say something similar to Poetikat - lovely swirls of cold mist and memory.) Is this from the Sonnets from the Portuguese?

Peggy said...

This is indeed from the Sonnets from the Portuguese, Bee. I love that the picture has the hint of tears in the eyes through the cold, paned window. :)

Reya Mellicker said...

I've never had a true love like that. Maybe I should be grateful??

Gorgeous, thank you!

willow said...

(((sigh))) I am enjoying this bloggy poetry reading SO much today! Thank you for this lovely, lovely post.

TheWritersPorch said...

Lovely choice Peggy.......
EBB is my favorite!

Marilyn said...

How lovely. Sonnets of the Portuguese is a favorite of mine. I hope you don't mind. I joined in and posted a poem with links to your blog and others on my blog.

Peggy said...

Marilyn, what a lovely poem you've posted. I've left a comment over at your blog, as well as included your link at the bottom of my post. As Bee Drunken says, "it's about cross pollination"! Sharing so enhances this whole blogging experience, doesn't it?

chelsea said...

I'm adding your blog to my blogroll!

Just found it... awesome!

xo Chelsea

http://eighty8words.com

Peggy said...

Welcome, Chelsea :-)

High Desert Diva said...

Thanks for the link love