Friday, January 9, 2009

Surprise Twist

Who doesn't love a good suprise? I was informed this afternoon that I was December's contest winner at MyBookList. I wrote several book reviews for them last month on their site, and it seems I was chosen to receive a signed book called "Jack with a Twist," by Brenda Janowitz.

I know nothing about this story or author, but I almost never turn a book down, especially when it's been pressed into my hands as a reward for something! It's also a book I probably would not have purchased on my own. Yet, that's how I've stumbled across many wonderful gems in my reading years; I've found them left in my path unexpectedly or they were sent as a gift based on the giver's taste in literary fare. What a nice thing it is to be surprised by a good read. I'll keep my fingers crossed and all of you posted!

8 comments:

Sydney said...

My goodness, this is great news! How flattering, even if it's richly deserved, as I'm certain it is.

I will need to get over there to read some of your reviews, but I am taking the next 12 days off from extra computer stuff, so I can focus on a few other things offline. I will once I'm done though.

This made me think -- haveyou ever read any of the children's books (or anything) by Jack Gantos?

Clair Bannerman said...

Thanks Peggy for your comment I enjoyed your blog space as well. The name is actually not based on the Pancake IHOP, but the acronym of an internship that I did. Although, I think that your IHOP story is so fun!! What a great memory!

Peggy said...

Sydney, it's grand to have you back from your world travels! I've never read Jack Gantos, but I'm familiar with some of his children's book titles. I'll have to follow this up! I'm off to Google books!

Clair, okay now I feel a little silly! :) I'm glad you enjoyed my story, even if it had no relevance to your blog title!

Joanne said...

Isn't that the best, to stumble across a great read? The unexpectedness of it is part of the pleasure. Congrats on your award!

Dave King said...

So often the best reads are the ones I almost got away from.

Peggy said...

Joanne, thank you so much!

Dave, I concur! Thanks for stopping in. :-)

High Desert Diva said...

Congrats on the win. I would have picked up this book for the cover art.

Peggy said...

Diva, I've been known to buy books just because I like the covers. In fact, I have several books on my shelves right now that were purchased only because I thought they would look smashing on my bookshelves. Who says you can't judge a book by its cover?!