Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Encore!

We're currently in the midst of our second blizzard of the season. This picture was taken of our shoreline along Lake Michigan. The snow fences are erected each Fall in a vain attempt to keep the beach sand in place.


Announced by all the trumpets of the sky,
Arrives the snow, and, driving o'er the fields,
Seems nowhere to alight: the whited air
Hides hill and woods, the river, and the heaven,
And veils the farmhouse at the garden's end...

...And when his hours are numbered, and the world
Is all his own, retiring, as he were not,
Leaves, when the sun appears, astonished Art
To mimic in slow structures, stone by stone,
Built in an age, the mad wind's night-work,
The frolic architecture of the snow.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

10 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Love the Emerson poem and the pic. Wow. SNOW!! I'm so jealous. We haven't had any yet.

Could you whisper to the weather gods, send us some nice snow? Please?

Thanks!

sizzie said...

Beautiful words and photo. Thank you for posting. I wanted to let you know I ordered Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society after reading about it here! I finished The Mammoth Cheese and passed it on to friend. Now I am going back to read Emerson. Thanks!

larkspur said...

Nice foto. Really captures the spirit of the blizzard. Stay warm
xoxoxo

Joanne said...

Architecture of the snow - it says so much. Lovely poem and photo, enjoy!

julie king said...

i love the idea of "astonished Art". how apropos of what wind, snow and sand can do!! very nice post!

Sydney said...

I don't know if you are tiring of snow but I will just say again that I wish it were happening in my world. It is a little through the peek into your world.

Love Emerson and had not been aware of this poem. Thanks for posting it!

Peggy said...

Reya, we've had enough snow this year to require Old Testament terms to describe it! Yikes!

Sizzie, what an impressive reading list! Enjoy all the fine literature. It's funny, but I enjoy reading Emerson the most in the winter. I wonder why that is? Hmmm.

nomore said...

Beautiful....

Dave King said...

The sort of photograph - simple but telling - I wish I had taken myself.

Peggy said...

Nomore, welcome! Thanks for stopping in.

Dave, I'm not a photographer. Good photos of mine are pure luck! But this is a doosie, isn't it?!