Tuesday, December 16, 2008

White Lion

Winter came in like a lion this year. Our magnolia tree loves to reach out and collect the snow on its open palms. It’s put me in mind of Robert Frost.


Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

Whose woods these are I think I know,
His house is in the village though.
He will not see me stopping here,
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer,
To stop without a farmhouse near,
Between the woods and frozen lake,
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake,
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep,
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

--Robert Frost

3 comments:

Sydney said...

HI -- I loved your comment on Willow's choc chip blog today and had to come see you. I love this picture and am totally jealous of your snow! I moved to Houston to marry about 2 years ago and am NOT adjusted to the seasons changing less. I lived in LA for 8 1/2 years and never got used to it there either.

The poem is perfect. I have three blogs, and would love it if you feel like stopping on by. I post just baout every day on one or the other.

Right now my third one called Looky Here is getting most of the action because I have been recommending gifts -- I used to be a professional shopper...

willow said...

I adore this Frost poem and posted it earlier, too! Thanks for stopping by the Manor today. I had a hard time eating my oatmeal without a cookie, too.

Lindsey said...

I am also so jealous of the snow! My preferance for summer weather is no secret, but there is something about a Michigan winter that, once experienced, one cannot have a complete winter without! I miss it every year since moving into warmer climates! If it's not going to snow, winter doesn't count!!! You know this is my favorite poem, if I'm not mistaken I think I commented with a verse (or is it stanza?) on an earlier blog!