Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tempus Fugit

I love the Autumn. I love it when we turn the clocks back and create a 25-hour
day once a year. There is something exciting and preparatory about this for me, as if we're battening down the hatches for a long winter, dark early and late.

This year, though, life is different here. This year, Ethan has his driver's license and a pickup truck. He also has wanderlust, a need to be mobile. Just a little while ago there was nobody he would rather spend time with than me. What happened? How could he be old enough to drive away from me already? He spends some weekends with us. During those times, we set the clock to family time and enjoy some idle hours in our mad dash to do nothing but be together. I value every minute, knowing painfully well how easily we can miss the things that matter most in life while time flies.

At 16 years old, he has lots of friends and lots of commitments. He's constantly connected by means of his cell phone, so when a better offer comes along (inescapable), off he goes. I kiss and hug him when he leaves, grateful for the too-brief visit. I tell him to be careful and wave goodbye. I can't ask more of him. He's already given me more than I could ever ask for.

1 comment:

Mike Terry said...

thanks for checking out my blog. I only read your first post and really liked it. I remember being sixteen and having to be everywhere at once, didn't matter where it was, just somewhere. I have always had a great relationship with my mother as well, giving him that freedom (at times possibly reluctantly) will come back to pay you ten fold.