Monday, December 1, 2008

Grounds for Change

I’ve been distracted for the last two weeks, which explains my absence from this blog. Because of some natural supplements I'm taking for 30 days, I'm off caffeine and coffee for the duration. Now, you could say I’m a serious coffee drinker. I love the taste. I love the smell. Ah, it’s like freshly ground heaven. This is no recreational pleasure; it's a medical necessity at this point. I just love living life at a full gallop. Amazon’s head honcho, Jeff Bezos, was heard uttering my motto: You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

Currently, I'm two weeks into the protocol. My coffee hiatus is self-imposed, but this is much harder than I imagined. For example, I’ve actually had caffeine withdrawal symptoms: edginess, headaches, shakes, inability to concentrate. And I’m still not adjusting well. I never believed I had a problem with caffeine; in fact, it appears I now have a problem without caffeine! Mornings are especially difficult, like right now… I could kill for some coffee. No, really, try me!

Decaf? I don’t like it. I’ve tried it, but honestly, decaf coffee isn’t really coffee. I’ve also tried decaffeinated teas and, although I can drink them, they’re not coffee. A good cup of coffee... now that’s my cup of tea. When I get done with this 30-day protocol, I'm going to make myself a cup of coffee. It’ll be so strong it'll wake up the neighbors! Mmmmm.

1 comment:

Sydney said...

I had to stop pver 2 years ago ue to some irregular heat beats. While I've recovered my energy, I really miss my cafe au lait and journal writing at the coffeehouses in NY every morning. I have recovered my energy, after about 6 months, but my IQ has dropped heinously. Sigh.

What is 30 day protocol? DId I miss something you mentioned in a post a ways back? Better go scan and see.