Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Bunnicula

I’ve always been a voracious reader, and it was important to me to pass along a love of reading and books to my children. When Lindsey was born, I learned a lot about how to do that from a man named Jim Trelease, who wrote The Read Aloud Handbook. Jim’s never steered me wrong. One of the stories he recommended as a read-aloud was the James Howe book, Bunnicula, about a vampire bunny that comes home with the Monroe family on a stormy night. The tale that unfolds centers not on the family’s, but their pets’ reaction to and adventures with Bunnicula. Chester and Harold are absolutely unforgettable.


I’ve read this book to Lindsey, Ethan and, now, Corban. In my perfect world, all kids would know this story by first grade. It's a classic and, along with other books, it resounds as a cadence of their childhood. I’m posting this today in fond memory of all the read-aloud time I shared with each of them, and knowing the picture of the white fruit will evoke a smile. There is such power in pretend, and the littlest people have the biggest imaginations. Feed them well.


1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Oh my goodness! Where did you find this fine white fruit (a la Mr. Seward)?! Did you find Bunnicula at a local pet shelter? This is great. :)