Thursday, November 6, 2008

Just For Me

I have a friend who manages a health club, and a few months ago she encouraged me to join. I’d been lamenting about how physically weak I’d grown since my back injury and subsequent surgery, but I resisted her. It hurt to get out of bed in the morning; how in the world was I going to lift weights and such? Nevertheless, I signed up and made a commitment to work out at the club for 30 minutes a day five days a week. I felt great the first day. The second day I hurt all over! By the fifth day, I wondered why I hadn’t done this sooner.

Oddly enough, it wasn’t the sore muscles and how I look in spandex right now that discouraged me from committing to this. I truly believe you can’t look good and get better at the same time. Surprisingly, signing up at a health club felt selfish. It felt selfish to carve out 30 minutes a day just for me, just to get stronger. And seeing my bank account automatically debited a fee at the beginning of each month also makes me feel selfish. I could be contributing that money toward a new car for David, for goodness' sake! It’s as though I’m lavishing time and money on myself for no other reason than to want to feel better, more fit. Is that a good enough reason?

I’ve been at it for two full months now. As the weather gets colder, I’ve noticed it’s getting harder to leave the house to work out. Some days I have to fight the temptation to stay at home and curl up with a book and big bowl of popcorn. The fact that I am feeling stronger is good motivation, but sometimes even the laundry and scrubbing the tub sound better than exercising. I had no idea my selfishness would take such self-discipline!

No comments: